Well since this will be the first really personal post here on The Year of the Phoenix it is appropriate that it be an explosive one!
This is about a previous relationship of mine. For privacy reasons, and because it cheers me to do so, his name will never be included and he will be known as Jafar. Now what this particular post is really about is the long torturous journey of healing I have been on to recover from him. All I will really say about him personally is that he has NPD, Narcissist Personality Disorder. Which I didn't know until after I had finally broke away from him.
Yesterday while reading the archives of one of my favorite blogs I came across something personally significant. I was reading about self image and self esteem and the ability to think and say, ‘There is Nothing Wrong with me!’. Today I was giving assvice to someone else about a crisis they were going through and mentioned that when dealing with someone who has NPD, the one thing you must be careful of, is their ability to subtly affect the way you think. Now, putting the two together, I realize that before Jafar I never thought there was anything wrong with me. Not that I didn’t have issues or self doubts before him, I did. That is one of the requirements for being in a relationship with Jafar (and possibly any other NPD). It’s how they hook you and eventually how they seek to destroy you, by playing on your self-doubt and issues and turning them into reality.
All the things I liked about myself became, after 5+ years of dealing with Jafar, the things I no longer believed about myself. My intelligence, my compassion, my strength, my resilience, my ability to Love Big!, my beauty (inside and out), my courage, my artistic talents and my wanderlust (which is really just my curiosity and awe of the world) were all things I considered my best traits. These traits were things I gave freely to the world and anyone who came into it even fleetingly received them wholeheartedly without hesitation. If asked at the time what my faults were I’d have said, ‘My stubbornness, my shame, my ‘Mother Bear’ temper, my deep rage at injustice, my ability to hold a grudge, my secrets and my selfishness when it came to my mother’s problems.’ Looking back I can of course see that at least three of those were not faults at all merely my own issues concerning self actualization and people pleasing.
Fast forward to the now… After 12 years of knowing this person, I find myself in ashes. Everything I believed about myself and the world, every person I ever loved, every place I’ve been or dreamed of going, Everything is burned to the ground and is ashes. I feel like a lesser person surrounded by despair/helplessness/and every ill of the modern world, cut off from every relationship I’ve ever had, and never venturing farther than my front door. That is the ‘reality’ of my current situation. And while I know I have to change it until recently I had no idea how because while crashing and burning has a different meaning for me I had forgotten one essential fact. The phoenix reborn is still a Phoenix, is still the same phoenix – better, brighter, wiser. So standing in the ashes, I don’t feel a bit sad or angry about it.
That is the flame in my soul. I have made it to this place where I can look around at the ashes and see the former me and feel eager, excited, content, and amazed. Because I know that from these ashes will rise, the new me. For awhile now I’ve been stuck in fear. That fear has been of change and I consider it well deserved. The fear is that in order to start anew I must ‘die’ first. The fear was that I had to lose everything in order to begin anew. My life has been a horror show for some time now and many different times that is exactly what happened. I had to choose my entire world or my very being and soul. It’s what it took to leave Jafar and seemingly what it has taken every single time something horrific has happened since. BUT! But! I am the same person. Jafar’s attempt to make me over into someone new and lesser (namely him) FAILED. I am still me, wiser and tempered by pain, and about to begin anew. And this life, reality, these ashes I stand in, is not something I want therefore I shouldn’t fear losing it all.
I’ve just realized that it was just a lingering shadow of Jafar telling me that it will never be as good (HA!), I will never be as happy (HAHA!), no one will ever love me as much (ggrrrr!), as it ‘was’ with him. The trick of a NPD is they will never ‘say’ these exact words. They will insinuate all of these and worse. They do it with little nasty biting comments over years and years. They do it with arguments about truth and twisted logic about reality (called gas-lighting) that soak into your mind. Until you literally can’t remember what you used to think, believe, understand before they came along. Standing here playing in ashes today, with it all coming flooding back, has released the floodgates of joy, release, peace, clarity of mind soul and purpose. And given me back my life, the one I was living before him, made wiser by the years and years of living despite him. I am the Phoenix and this is my Year.
4 comments:
Wow. That's powerful. And so very sad that it happened in the first place. Are you cut off from old friends and family too? Or are they there, rooting for you from afar? (Haven't read backward yet.)
I'm here. The Betties are here. I will help you and you will help me and we will both rise from the ashes.
Take care.
I've realized recently that a side effect of dealing with someone with NPD is isolation. Their utmost desire is to have you and your entire life be a reflection of themselves. You are not supposed to even WANT relationships with anyone other than them and they will convince you of their 'reasons' saying that only they can X and anyone else doesn't or won't.
It creates a situation where even those whom you once had close loving relationships with will be long gone or the relationship withered from lack of attention by the time you get free. There are one or two people I believe truly love me and wish me well but those relationships are hard to foster when they've become used to me being out of touch for so long.
Just the fact that there are only two people who are far away whom I consider as people who love me, is a flaming testament to the effect of Jafar. One of the things I'm slowly doing is "de-villifying" people in my mind. So many years of hearing things like, "You shouldn't talk to that person if they can't be helpful. S/he obviously doesn't really love you if they can be so mean about me. How can you agree with them when I was the one who was there for you" creates an atmosphere of distrust. Only Jafar was allowed to do anything and say anything horrible or otherwise to me. Everyone else was out to get US.
I can see how the vilifying in your own mind would be one of the hurdles. You don't know if person A or B is still rooting for you, because you've been thinking of them as someone who was wishing hurt on you, or wishing for your to fail, I guess. But if I had a girlfriend in a crap relationship and she was finally out and wanted to reconnect precisely because she was finally out, I'd probably be happy for her.
Hmmm hmmmmmm!!
I had a girlfriend who went out with a guy who later turned out to be dating, like, 4 or 5 women. But I only met her after him. She called him (pardon my French) The Fuckwit. He was Jafar Level Evil.
Thanks London Mabel I hadn't thought about it that way. I've actually been that friend to someone else but of course (STFU Mageara) I didn't apply that to ME. :-/
As for the name, I call him The Evul Ex (or He who shall not be named) to express my desire to not be talking about him all the time which is a side effect of the whole NPD thing, but felt that if I was going to publish this journey online and talk about him with frequency I had to come up with a less inflammatory name. The relationship (and his part in it) was definitely negative but healing often starts with forgiveness. Since this is about me, not him, I decided a less serious villainous name would be better. Not too mention his real name has appeared in a cartoon movie (Not Aladdin)that is one of my favorites.
Oh and I LOVE the Jafar Level Evil moniker! :-)
Post a Comment