Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Solution Oriented

So it seems I've learned a new thing about myself today. I'm Solution Oriented. 
"...concentrating on the solution is a much more positive activity than concentrating on the problem. Turning one's attention to potential answers is more fun and gratifying than getting sucked into the downward spiral of pity that nearly always goes with concentrating on the problem. Even if a solution isn't readily apparent, just the act of searching for one is an activity that will always get your mind away from the problem itself."

It all started with the used computer I bought recently that arrived yesterday. I mentioned in an earlier post that i bought a used computer but that one died after one day so I had to send it back. While waiting for my refund and feeling really blue about the whole fiasco, I decided to risk it all and buy another. It arrived yesterday after much hand wringing and pacing. 

Well the newest one had Vista installed. VISTA! Vista. Sigh. All day yesterday and most of the day today was spent in abject frustration and searching. I won't go into a long diatribe concerning Microsoft (my Mac died which precipitated all this) or VISTA ( I hate it. Nuf said.). I will say that the other options at this point in the whole computer mess were many. None of them being the simple, 'take it out of the box and use it', option I actually wanted. So. I finally decided to 'downgrade' to XP and with minimal tinkering, Voila!, it works great. I'm up late customizing my desktop on my speedy working computer and I feel like dancing in the streets or at least singing in the shower. 

All this just reminds me that despite my trials I am essentially Solution Oriented. I wasn't deeply unhappy about all of this; even during the, "return computer and I still don't have a working computer", phase. The joy showed up though when I solved both the main and subsequent problems. Actual Joy. Dancing, Smiling, laughing aloud, warm feelings JOY! Wow. Just imagine if the problem I solved was spiritual or emotional instead of technical. What would that joyful result be like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would make you glow so we could see you from here!

Nice work on the solutions. ;)
Julie

Eva El Beze said...

it would be like the all the benches in the world moving in synch..........

Kat Phoenix said...

@Julie Well, keep an eye out then! :-D

@Eva LOL! Swaying in the afternoon breeze.....