Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Little 'Light' Dusting

Well, will you just look at all the dust in here. :-D For those just joining in I left a comment over on JulieLand about an email I got. The email concerned an rare interview with Social and Spiritual Reformer of India, Sathya Sai Baba who I've since learned has passed on. Here's an excerpt of the interview...
There is not more evil…there is “more light”, and that is what I’m talking about on this message. Imagine that you have a room or warehouse where for years you have been storing your things and is lit by a 40 watt bulb. Change the bulb to a 100 watt and you will see what happens. You will see the mess and the dust you didn’t think existed. The dirt will be clearer…
 Well. Well. Here on the Year of The Phoenix I've been talking about stuff I'm going through and feeling and quite a lot of it has been metaphorically 'dirty' just like I said on the front page. And for the past couple of weeks I've been wondering and worrying about why after all this time here on the brink of what feels like a great change in me and my life everything looks so...icky, so dark, so sad. And then Julie's card said, 'Listen, the answer's coming.' and I did. And I received this email. 

For years I've been storing things, not just painful sad things but All The Things!* Here in the Year of The Phoenix I've changed my light bulb and I'm looking around and...achoo!...excuse me! Kinda dusty. So I will try to shed some light on the lighter things when I can but for the most part this is my chance to Clean All The Things!* and get rid of some of the crap cluttering up my heart mind and soul to make room for the amazing things to come. For those wonderful people that are following my progress with support and kindness I say thank you and I promise it's not all dirt.... :-D

* note - Clean All The Things is from a really great website ( Hyperbole and a Half) soon to be a book that I certainly recommend for those who want a little light cleaning to counteract the dirt. Laughter is wonderful medicine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a Clean All The Things fan (I love Allie Brosh and her blog, just don't like cleaning) but I do know that some things must be made tidy from time to time. A bit of dust helps us build strong immune systems though (this actual science, I didn't just make it up). So, yes, we do support you, when the need to ride your broom around strikes, when we do all need to open the windows and let in some fresh air.
Moderation is the key, because even when we don't feel like Cleaning All The Things, we must make room for some new and wonderful stuff that is just waiting to arrive.
Julie

Kat Phoenix said...

So, yes, we do support you, when the need to ride your broom around strikes, when we do all need to open the windows and let in some fresh air.

Yes this is exactly how it feels. It most definitely is a spiritual thing more so than an actual cleaning thing. :-) I'm not a huge fan of cleaning myself. *eyes clutter* I do want to make room though for any good that comes my way.

I also see the Clean All The Things phenom as being specifically about people who don't like cleaning. It's about the urge to be more than you currently are or more accurately to be what you're 'supposed' to be. It's about learning to accept oneself as is AND give in to that urge to DO MORE! lol

London Mabel said...

And "clean all the things" isn't just about cleaning, but about those days when you have energy to run around doing all your chores, and then realize: I have to do this s*** all over again next week if I want to be all super organized? Screw being An Adult!

It goes back to that discussion about what makes for an adult on Lucy's blog, I think. Like... I've got books to read, man. I can't be acting like a *supposed adult* every day of my life.

But once in awhile the Clean All the Things mood does hit, and then it feels great to kick butt and take names. So I love your metaphorical use of Clean All the Things. I'm picturing that screaming blonde cartoon girl and all her emotional issues running for cover. Woo!!

Kat Phoenix said...

@London Mabel Exactly!!! Screw being adult! I've got books to read, blogs to read and write, daydreams that need finishing...the list goes on and on.... :-)

Skye said...

I love watching this great energy come off of you through your writing. I read your comment on Julie's blog and I just love it. I need to print it out and hang it up so I can see it a lot

I like using Clean All The Things as a metaphor. I want that shirt, too, with Clean ALL the things? on the back. I hate to clean when it's as bad as it is in my apartment right now, but I love a clean and organized home. And a clean and organized mind would be very ... interesting. I'm thinking of a library metaphor but really feel too lazy to go anywhere with it.

Anyway, good for you! And to hell with being what other people say is what a grown up or adult is supposed to be. I just bought myself some new LEGO. That for being a grown up!