Over on one of my favorite blogs, Things in the Skye, Skye did a list of the 4 or 5 most important things. She asked us to come up with our own. Here's what I came up with.
1. Pleasure: I find in contemplating what is important to me that this is the hardest and most honest thing I could come up with. It's hard because society, home training, and such expressly forbid this being on the list no less at the top. Yet if I am honest about who I am this has got to be the apex and starting point for everything else. Pleasure is what it's all about for me. Whether it's the cool sweet scent of honeysuckle, or the almost physical tickle of a stranger's baby's laugh, the warmth of sunshine on my skin mixed with a cool swipe of breeze, or that catlike stretch when you first wake up, it's all pleasure for me. Sitting here in my little room at my little desk I realize it's still about the pleasure. The different patterns and colors at play in my window shade as I stare into space thinking up these words constitute a pleasure. The ticktick of the keyboard and the burst of light and joy when the idea appears or the turn of phrase comes out just right is a pleasure. A conversation with my brother that is filled with laughter and sometimes tears is a pleasure. For me almost everything contains a portion of pleasure inherent. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't but it's always there and I always want it. If left to myself I instinctively seek it, usually after finding someone to come along and have some too. Maybe I'm just a closeted Hedonist philosopher along the lines of Michel Defray, who defines hedonism as an introspective attitude to life based on taking pleasure yourself and pleasuring others, without harming yourself or anyone else. Dunno, but it's got to be at the top of my list.
1. Pleasure: I find in contemplating what is important to me that this is the hardest and most honest thing I could come up with. It's hard because society, home training, and such expressly forbid this being on the list no less at the top. Yet if I am honest about who I am this has got to be the apex and starting point for everything else. Pleasure is what it's all about for me. Whether it's the cool sweet scent of honeysuckle, or the almost physical tickle of a stranger's baby's laugh, the warmth of sunshine on my skin mixed with a cool swipe of breeze, or that catlike stretch when you first wake up, it's all pleasure for me. Sitting here in my little room at my little desk I realize it's still about the pleasure. The different patterns and colors at play in my window shade as I stare into space thinking up these words constitute a pleasure. The ticktick of the keyboard and the burst of light and joy when the idea appears or the turn of phrase comes out just right is a pleasure. A conversation with my brother that is filled with laughter and sometimes tears is a pleasure. For me almost everything contains a portion of pleasure inherent. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't but it's always there and I always want it. If left to myself I instinctively seek it, usually after finding someone to come along and have some too. Maybe I'm just a closeted Hedonist philosopher along the lines of Michel Defray, who defines hedonism as an introspective attitude to life based on taking pleasure yourself and pleasuring others, without harming yourself or anyone else. Dunno, but it's got to be at the top of my list.
As for the rest of my list it mimics Skye's so closely that I think I'll just steal hers. Below is an altered version of her list with an added number five. I juggled the positions and to each description added a bit. I love Skye and I love cut&paste! :-D
2. Love & Friendship: having close friends to talk with, having friends to do things with, having people to love and share my life (and pleasure) with, having a romantic relationship to encapsulate all of the above.
3. Freedom: Being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it, not being tied to an 8 to 5, commuting, unsatisfying-job existence (and getting burnt-out, and getting sick — again). Being able to do work that I think is fun, being able to work wherever I want to work. Having time and energy for my important things. I'd have to add Compassion & Giving to my freedom. To me these are a part of freedom. I can't be or even feel free if I can't be compassionate (hence not ever working corporate again) or feel like I'm giving something to the situation or person.
4. Creating: Writing, drawing & painting, knitting, singing, dancing, etc. To me creativity is so much more than producing. For example, when I dance I feel like those swishes or bends or turns are unique. As if those particular movements set to that particular music is just me just at that moment regardless of whether there is anyone there to see them or not. The same goes for every other creative thing I do.
5. Learning: I love to learn. I love to teach because that often is the best way to learn. Books, conversations, media, library, Google, jobs and especially travel are all just me learning. I think this is some sort of essential ingredient in my soul. It may not even belong on this list because it's not important to me it IS me, I do it instinctively.
So that is my 5 Important Things. The best part was thinking about it all. Sometimes we don't 'see' ourselves, even someone as introspective as I can be. After writing this I kinda like what I see. Thanks Skye!
8 comments:
Cool! I'm glad you got something from my blog (which is Things in the Skye, darlin'). I also like your filling out and making what you "borrowed" all your own. I'm flattered.
I think you have a very good sense of yourself and what you need and want. Your list is more detailed than mine; mine will become more detailed as I think about it more.
We'll have to compare as time goes on and see how well we are getting along in making our lives align with our lists!
This is wonderful! And so thought provoking, you have inspired me with the Pleasure category. I need to focus more on this while I am in my water class. I keep thinking that I HAVE to do it, but really, it is so pleasant that my body CAN do it!
Julie
(We like what we see in you too.)
So sorry for getting the blog name mixed up, Skye! Thank you and Julie both for liking the post. Traveling right now so it may be a minute before the next post.
Kat where areeee youuuu?
hoping i am in that list of friendship, keep clicking the key board, you rock!
What LB said. Check in. We worry.
Julie
Hey guys! Still travelling, currently on the East coast will try to get a post up before end of August. Hope everyone enjoyed their summer!
Yay for travel adventures! Good to hear from you. Enjoy yourself. We can wait. :)
Julie
Post a Comment